MB2: ICD 10/CPT4/HCPCS Coding Class
ICD10-CM coding is required by third-party payers when submitting and processing insurance claims. In this class, students will learn to interpret accurately and describe diagnoses, procedures and supplies used in the physician offices, medical record department, emergency rooms, urgent care and hospice care facilities. In CPT-4 coding, students will learn how to effectively use evaluation and management codes in compliance with CMS regulations, the correct usage of modifiers that Best describes inpatient procedures, and services in compliance with CMS. Students will be informed about the changes and updated code requirements. Hands-on diagnoses and including problem solving of case studies using ICD10-CM will be covered in class. Cost of textbooks is approximately $ 187.00 (ICD10 & CPT4) plus $20.00 for material fee payable in class. Prerequisite: Medical Terminology.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand basic to advance coding principles and regulations
- Perform hands-on actual coding of ICD10-CM/ CPT-4 /HCPCS
- Code accurately, specific and in a timely manner
- Professionally handle patients concerns, co-workers, and physicians in compliance with HIPAA.
This course falls under the following Institutional Level Outcome (ILO):
- Critical Thinking
- Information Technology and Literacy
- Personal, Social, Civic, and Environmental Responsibility